As promised, here are my resolutions for 2012:
1) Vote I haven’t voted since the Obama election, and I hate that I haven’t. Mostly it is because I haven’t really felt “at home” in any of the places I have lived over the past few years. But now that I know I will be settling in Boston for at least a couple years, I need to register here and get more knowledgeable about local politics. One of the ways I’ve been doing this is I am meeting monthly with a group of co-workers to discuss politics. It has been a lot of fun so far and it has given me the push I need to re-immerse myself in politics.
2) Do one “touristy” thing a month, and blog about it I find that when I get really busy with work and school I don’t make an effort to get out and do new things. I want to commit to doing one cool thing a month that I can only do in Boston and then share the experience on my blog. I’m thinking museums, the aquarium, breweries, etc. Should be fun!
3) Learn Final Cut Pro Last year I wanted to learn how to do video editing, and I learned how to use iMovie fairly well. This year I want to kick it up a notch and learn how to use Final Cut. I’m thinking about taking a class at Emerson this summer (I can take two classes outside of my major) but I can also just use it at work and teach myself.
4) Read one book a month I really love reading, but when I am in school it is really difficult for me to convince myself to read for fun. Instead I watch hours of Netflix, which I enjoy, but I want to get back into reading. This month I’m reading the Steve Jobs biography. I’m thinking about reading Girl with the Dragon Tattoo next month and then the Hunger Games. Any suggestions are welcome!
5) Produce a podcast I’ve really gotten into podcasts this past year (Savage Love, This American Life and Radio Lab are my favorites) and I really want to learn how to record my own. It’s not the technology side I’m worried about, its more the crafting of the stories and figuring out the theme. If you have any ideas or have something you’d like to hear me talk about, let me know!
6) Repair relationships that need fixing and let go of ones I don’t need There are some personal relationships in my life that I know I need to work on and that I know will make me much happier if I can fix them. There are also a lot of people who I let cloud my thoughts without them even knowing. I need to focus on the relationships I value and rid myself of the ones that only bring me pain. Wish me luck on that, haha.
7) Play soccer I really miss it desperately and I want to get onto a team. There are plenty of adult indoor and outdoor leagues in Boston, so I just need to bite the bullet, pay the fee and get ready to meet new people. Should be fun!
8) Focus on my personal brand A lot of my social media usage is flippant and habitual more than anything. While I want to let myself have fun with it, I want to do a better job of consistently blogging and creating/sharing good, informative content.
I chose eight resolutions last year and that felt like a natural place to stop, so I will stick to eight again this year. I’m sure I will be keeping you all posted about how I’m doing on the blog, so stay tuned!